Thursday, December 12, 2013

Page 403

--donation bonus (day #20, post 3/5)--
“I’m their father,” said Colt steadily. “I didn’t kidnap them.”

“And if I asked you to prove it?”

“I’d say take a paternity test.”

“Those aren’t exactly quick. And they’re not my forte, either.”

“Look,” said Colt. “All I want is a normal check-up for them. Just tell me if there’s anything I should be worried about.”

“Then answer my question. Why are you bringing them to me now?”

“Because I’m wanted for murder.”

The man didn’t lose a beat. “Are you guilty?”

“Yes.”

The doctor paused to exhale a laugh. “You’re very honest.”

“Are you gonna check them or not?”

“Did you kill a child?”

“No.”

The man stared at him. “Did you bring money?”

Colt showed him a backpack full of cash.

“Alright, then.” The doctor took a step forward, and then he stopped, his eyes lingering on Hector. “Who’s he?”

“My babysitter. Don’t worry about him.”

“No, no,” the man said. “Take off your helmet. Let me see your face.”

Hector glanced at Colt, and Colt shrugged. Hector removed his riding helmet.

The doctor backed away a few steps, as did his two bodyguards. “I recognize you,” the man said, not shaken, but not pleased, either. “You’ve been all over the news.”

“Don’t worry about him,” Colt repeated. “If you’re wondering whether or not he’s guilty, too, then I’ll save you the trouble of asking. He’s not.”

The doctor tilted his head, loosening up a little. “Really now? And yet he’s working as your... babysitter?”

“He and I have a complicated relationship. Are you done asking questions now? I didn’t come here to be quizzed.”

Dr. Marcus threw a last look at Hector before saying, “Very well. Follow me, please.”

They all began walking together, heading for a staircase at the far end of the cellar.

“Tell me about your children,” the doctor said. “Surely, you felt it was a risk coming here. Is there something about them that has been worrying you?”

6 comments:

  1. I guess this doc is like people in prison. Inmates could be the most terrible people around, serial murderers and everything. But even they despise people that hurt kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't have a complicated relationship at all. Colt just killed Hector, who came back to kill Colt, but ended up helping him save his children, twice, in which colt then died and became a servant and got his children back from Hector, who thought that one bad guy was Colt, who wasn't, then Colt tried to help Hector battle the guy who lost his reaper and Hector went with Colt to check up his children. Not complicated at all. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, if I recall correctly, he DID kill a child. Wasn't Melissa only nine?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa was older than Hector. I remember shipping them before...before the end. Frigging Colt

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, having found that page, it looks like I got the "nine years" figure from how long her mother's been gone.

    ReplyDelete