Monday, December 2, 2013

Page 383

Hector turned to see Colt reach into the dirt and pull. A huge door rose out of the ground. Dust kicked up all around the man as he revealed a manmade hole in the ground. They both looked down at the ramp leading into the darkness.

Still groggy and aching all over his body, Hector scratched under his eye. “W-where are we, exactly?”

Colt thumbed behind himself. “East of Walton.”

Hector squinted, only then noticing the buildings in the distance. They fluctuated on the horizon, seeming almost a mirage against the heat.

Colt fetched the children from the car, along with a flashlight, the latter of which he handed off to Hector. And all together, they ventured underground, Hector leading the way while the reapers brought up the rear.

The ramp curved gradually right as they descended, and soon, they discovered an even floor. Hector found a switch on the wall and flipped it. Incrementally, flood lights in the ceiling illuminated a much larger chamber than Hector had expected.

There had to be upwards of fifty vehicles in this place.

“Damn,” said Colt. “Some friend you got here.”

The reapers began browsing.

Hector looked at Colt again. “So I guess... you talked to Gina while I was asleep?”

“Not for very long. Only to get the coordinates to this place. She did say to call her back when you were awake, though.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Why didn’t you just wake me up, then?”

“She said it wasn’t urgent.”

Bohwanox floated up behind Colt. ‘He’s lying. He told Gina all about how you needed your rest.

Colt’s glare only seemed to make the reaper happier.

It was very touching,’ said Bohwanox. ‘He cried.

The man rolled his eyes and walked away.

Bohwanox lingered with Hector. ‘Alright, so maybe he didn’t cry.

Hector tried to reply but found no words available. He wasn’t sure he understood Colt and Bohwanox’s relationship. He wasn’t sure they did, either.

18 comments:

  1. Snowtail the KhajiitDecember 2, 2013 at 7:35 AM

    That last bit. XD Bohwanox is good reaper partner for Colt, I think. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I am loving the Bohwanox/Colt pairing. This was great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wut
    They have a relationSHIP now?
    XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. A relation boat. Like a love boat but platonic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And altogether, they ventured underground,

    I think thats wrong but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes, that should've been "all together." Thank you for the catch. Fixed now.

    This was a pretty tricky one, so for anyone wondering, "altogether" doesn't work here because it's merely an adverb which means "entirely" or "completely," rather than referring to "all of them together," which is how it is being used in this instance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snowtail the KhajiitDecember 2, 2013 at 11:52 PM

    I have learned things. Thanks, Frosty! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. "He revealed a>n< manmade hole into the ground."

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...
    I just found this.
    And it works.
    I WILL GO DOWN WITH THIS SHIP!
    XD
    It really IS a nice boat...

    ReplyDelete
  10. And more comedy. Yes. I can feel myself relaxing a bit. Goood...a little more, and I'll be able to take some more abuse (I may as well give steady feedback after all I said)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm trying to place the humour.
    Bohwanox is dry.
    Hector is blunt and only when stressed, with a flair for one-liners he probable doesn't know he has.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I concur. Hector's humor hits home for me. It's kind of a spectrum-y thing. The funniest things I say are things I didn't intend to be jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol I bet Colt will be thinking of a way to kill Boh without it affecting him

    ReplyDelete
  14. <3
    have a taste of your own medicine ;)

    ReplyDelete