Saturday, October 19, 2013

Page 298 -- XXXV.

Chapter Thirty-Five: ‘Tremulous friends, be wary...’
Click to display entire chapter at once -- (mobile link)

A pair of waiters scurried between tables, attending to the truck stop diner’s morning rush. The place was busier than Hector might have expected. Perhaps being in the middle of nowhere worked in its favor. There were maybe two other places to eat over the next hundred kilometers or so.

Colt sat across the table, his kids right next to him.

“What are their names?” Hector asked.

“Stephanie and Thomas.” He poked at the baby girl, and she grabbed his index finger. “Thank you for keeping them safe, by the way. Didn’t get the chance to say that before.”

A waiter arrived before Hector could respond. The man began to look rather concerned as they told him their orders, scribbling through several pages of his notepad. He advised them that it would be a long wait and disappeared again.

Hector struggled with finding something else to say. Colt wasn’t exactly his favorite person right now, but the man was an ally, and Garovel had reminded Hector at length about how important that could be. Yet even still, Hector couldn’t come up with anything that wouldn’t surely start another argument, so he decided to remain quiet. Colt didn’t seem too worried about keeping up a conversation, either.

Thankfully, the reapers soon returned from scouting the area.

Didn’t find any cops,’ said Garovel. ‘You?

I saw a pair of highway troopers a few hundred meters north of here, but nothing else.

“So we can relax,” said Colt.

Yeah.’ A beat passed as Garovel looked between the other reaper and servant. ‘I’m curious to know what your long-term plans are.

Colt and Bohwanox exchanged glances.

I have none,’ said Bohwanox. ‘Other than following Colt for my own protection, my only intention is to continue reaping souls as I normally would. Why? What are your plans?

16 comments:

  1. Snowtail the KhajiitOctober 19, 2013 at 6:32 AM

    For some reason, that face looks like a frog to me. o3o

    ReplyDelete
  2. .-.

    'Hector didn’t spare it much more thought than that, however, as he watched the
    pair of waiters scurry between tables, attending to the morning rush.' this sentence does and doesn't make sense...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reworked the whole paragraph. Wasn't jiving with me. Thanks for the check.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Typo catches:
    “Stephanie and Thomas.” He poked at [the] baby girl, and she grabbed his index finger.
    “Thank you for keeping them safe, by the way. Didn’t get [the] chance to say that before.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fixed, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the ever-present author. :)

    I created a page on tvtropes (told you in an email I would).
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/TheZombieKnight

    Good thing I'm not obsessed and spend way too long collecting examples or anything.

    Also, navigating the story would be way easier if there where next/previous page links above the page text as well. It's a pain to search for a specific page if just navigate to a chapter and have to scroll down all the way to navigate pages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha, HOLY SHIT! That is a much larger page than I expected! Wow. I am in awe. XD


    That is just. So very impressive. You have my deepest gratitude. Thank you.



    And yeah. I've been wondering how to make the next/previous show above the text with Blogger. I'll see if I can figure it out soon.


    Also, on a somewhat relevant note, I'll be adding a Characters tab to the main site soon, and it will have a few navigational goodies, such as links to the pages on which each character first appears, first REappears, and possibly, is first mentioned by another character. Will probably include minor spoilers. Should be up in a couple week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uh, well. You're welcome? I like spending time analyzing stories I like, so it's no big deal.

    I very much look forward to a character sheet. Oath 2 had me sometimes confused with all the newly introduced characters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Gee Garovel, what do you want to do tonight?"
    "The same thing we do every night Bohwanox! Try to take over the world!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. You, sir, just won the interwebs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah so it's you I have to blame for that large ass TvTropes page! I actually visited the page around the time I finished the First Oath. Imagine my surprise when I find that gargantuan list! I thought I could just read a short list and laugh at the tropes but NOOOO, someone had to do the thing seriously and came up with a trope for everything!

    Lol I'm kidding man, fantastic work. When I saw that list, it made me wanna catch up so I could appreciate each trope listed. Thanks for the work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything is going alright so far. We'll see how long that lasts. And does Hector still have his bike?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, it's not just me, there are many more people who have contributed to the page. And technically, you have to blame Mr Frost for writing this awesome story in the first place.


    So how bad is the spoiler-ish-ness of the page? I always try to spoiler-tag everything from the last three or so oaths, but it's still pretty bad because basically everything is a spoiler.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol I know people must have added to the page but since you created it, it's your fault!

    Pfft I wasn't stupid enough to read that page once I saw the size. I backed outta that page without reading anything. I figured the twists must have been spectacular if so many people took the time out of their day to add to the list. And I was right. I literally would have been pissed at myself if I'd read a spoiler that said Geoffrey would take over Samuel's body. So I plan to read the page once I'm done catching up.

    ReplyDelete