Sunday, June 21, 2020

Page 2387

((The Father's Day Special -- page 3 of 24))
"...Yeah, I figured you would say that. But I have to ask: why not? Tell me your exact reasons for attacking us, because I still don't understand."

"That does not surprise me," said Chort. "My spawn must continue to grow. Both in number and individually. You ask me to stop attacking your kind, but how then am I to feed them? How then am I to make more? These things would become impossible."

"...Wait a minute," said Lord Goffe. "Chort. That's a very different answer from what you gave earlier. You said you wanted to 'spread knowledge of the Infinite Current,' didn't you?"

"Yes, that is also true. Teaching humans of their own ignorance is similarly important."

"So it's just like a two birds, one stone situation for you, then?"

"It sounds as though you understand. Finally."

"No, Chort, I don't. You could just hunt regular animals and feed those to your children. Like we do. You don't have to kill people for that. Plus, it would be safer for you, too. Normal animals won't send hunters like me after you."

"Hmph. Incredibly, there is a modicum of sense in what you say. It would indeed be safer to feed on less volatile creatures. But you ask the impossible. My spawn require more than mere flesh. They need the sustenance of souls in order to transform, grow, and flourish."

"...Excuse me?"

"It is impossible to create even a single new spawn from the lesser souls that inhabit other, lower creatures. One human, however, can sometimes equal two of my spawn."

Pauline could sense the monster's aura growing again as it spoke, regaining rigidity. Certainty. Conviction.

But she could also sense a change in Lord Goffe's. His was twisting in places, not unlike swirls of steam. Growing heated. Angry.

No comments:

Post a Comment