Thursday, June 4, 2020

Page 2333

'Somehow, I doubt that,' said Pauline.

"Tch. That's a very rude thing to say, you know. I have hidden depths." Roman looked to Hector for some reason, then cracked a goofy smile. "Very hidden, maybe, but they're there. Right, Hector?"

"Er... yeah..."

"C'mon, man, you've gotta agree with more than enthusiasm than that. She'll think I'm full of shit, otherwise."

Hector couldn't help laughing now, too. "Are you full of shit?"

"Dude..."

'Perhaps your depths are too hidden for you own good,' said Pauline.

"Alright," said Roman, "forget I said anything. And you never answered my question, by the way. If you didn't pluck it out of my brain, then how do you know my last name?"

'I overheard it.'

Roman raised an eyebrow. "When? I'm pretty sure no one has said it during this trip."

'Yes. This isn't the first time I've seen you.'

Roman blinked. "Say what?"

'A billionaire servant living in Atreya? You may be good at fooling people with your disguises, but you'll have to do better than that in order to remain under the radar of Sparrows. In truth, I've known about you for a few years.'

And for a moment, Roman looked genuinely unsettled.

Hector could hardly blame him.

'Sorry,' said Pauline. 'I didn't mean to disturb you like that.'

"I'm not disturbed," said Roman.

'Yes, you are. I can tell.'

He frowned. "Right..."

'If it makes you feel any better, I don't know everything about you.'

"What else do you know about me?"

'You're not affiliated with the Vanguard. Your reaper's name is Voreese. You live in Walton. You are quite close with your personal secretary--who is also rather fascinating, by the way. Your relationship with her is somewhat--'

"Alright, alright. That's already more than I wanted to hear."

No comments:

Post a Comment