Saturday, June 20, 2020

Page 2384

Lord Goffe ignored the insult. "Do you have a name?"

"A name...?"

"That's what I said, yes."

"I have been called many things."

"But is there something that you call yourself? Something you would like others to call you?"

And the Beast of Lorent fell quiet for a time. "Chortomolengoth."

"...Sorry, would you mind saying that one more time?"

"Chortomolengoth."

The Lord of Warrenhold nodded. "That seems a little difficult to remember. Can I just call you Chort?"

"It makes no difference to me."

"Alright, Chort. You can call me Hector."

"I fear your attempt at familiarity is wasted, Hector. I do not foresee this conversation going on for much longer."

Pauline could sense movement among the Beast's offspring. They seemed to be getting antsy, inching closer to the group of humans. Still, none of them appeared to have noticed her presence, though, which was good.

"Well, stranger things have happened," said Lord Goffe. "And I have a lot more questions for you."

"But I have none for you. Return my spawn and let us end this charade."

"How much do you know about blessings?"

Chort made no response.

"How about Primordials?" said Lord Goffe. "Do you know about them?"

Still, it said nothing.

"Do you know about a being named Malast? Or the Hun'Sho, maybe?"

Chort's children were beginning to settle back down again, Pauline noticed, though she didn't understand why.

Primordials? Pauline was familiar with the term, though only vaguely. Cocora was sometimes regarded as a Primordial, wasn't she? What did that have to do with anything? What was Lord Goffe thinking?

"These words you are using," said Chort, "I am not familiar with them. And yet... I sense that you are referring to something... significant. Your aura tells me so."

What the hell?

"That's one word for it," said Lord Goffe.

No comments:

Post a Comment