Monday, June 8, 2020

Page 2358

((The Mon/Wen/Fri Double -- page 2 of 2))
They trudged on together with Hector clearing some of the underbrush for her hulking avian body. He figured the trail they were leaving behind would at least help them to not get lost.

After a while of walking, Hector still didn't sense this building that Pauline was talking about.

But he saw it.

A modest structure, it looked to be little more than a single room. Beams of moonlight illuminated its rusted metal exterior.

Yet the Scarf couldn't sense it there. Air flowed right through it.

He stopped a few meters short of the building, and so did Pauline.

"...It's an illusion," said Hector.

'It is?'

Slowly, he began moving closer. "Can you not tell?"

'Hmm. Hold on a minute. No, I see the issue now. You're half-right. It's only partly an illusion.'

He stopped again. "What do you mean?"

'Technically, this building is not here. But it used to be.'

"...What are you saying?"

'It's the aura. Messing with our perception of time. On the other hand, though, you might call this building a kind of "memory"--one that has even been preserved in physical reality. It's quite special, when you think of like that, no?'

What the hell? A memory?

'I'm going to try touching it,' she said. 'There may be historical information I can discover by doing so.'

"Uh. You sure that's safe?"

'Nope.' She shuffled past him. 'Please make sure nothing springs out and attacks me. Also, if I begin violently convulsing, make sure I stop touching the building.'

"Pauline, this doesn't seem--"

'I know. I'm a little scared, quite honestly, but we're in need of direction, and this is our best chance, right now.' She was very close to the building now. She puffed her feathered chest up and exhaled deeply. 'So just. Keep me safe, please. And I'll do my best, too.'

Well, shit. "Okay..."

No comments:

Post a Comment