Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Page 2378

"Be that as it may," said Lord Goffe, "I'd appreciate it if you answered my questions."

The Beast took its time responding. Perhaps it was considering whether or not that had been a threat just now. The Lord Goffe hadn't exactly phrased it like one, but there was also an undeniable firmness in his otherwise soft speaking voice. "...I was summoned into this world by one of your kind," it said. "A man called Lozaro."

Pauline recognized that name, though only vaguely. It belonged to a famous scientist of some kind, she was fairly sure. Agh, but she should've been able to recall more than that. Her father would've known.

"...What do you mean by 'summoned into this world,' exactly?" said Lord Goffe.

"How else would you like me to explain it? I was pulled forcibly into existence."

"Okay, but how?"

"If I knew that, I would not have to create so many of my own spawn. I only know that the Carlan Point was somehow involved. Perhaps in time, I will return there and attempt to learn more, but I currently do not think it is worth the risk."

Whoa, whoa, whoa. The Carlan Point was a famous location, though only among Sparrows. It was a place of major geographic resonance, one of only handful in the entire world.

And this thing came from there? Like from another dimension or something? Pauline had never heard of such an occurrence. Who the hell was this Lozaro person, to be able to pull off something like that?

"What risk would that be?" said Lord Goffe.

"The risk of being returned to Chaos, of course," said the Beast. "That is why so many of you do not appreciate what you have. You fail to grasp the hellish nature of nonexistence--of the Infinite Current."

"...The what?"

No comments:

Post a Comment