Sunday, June 21, 2020

Page 2386

((The Father's Day Special -- page 2 of 24))
Perhaps Lord Goffe could tell that something had changed in the Beast as well, because he asked, "Are you okay? You seem different all of a sudden."

"I am... fine," said Chort.

But that was all.

Lord Goffe tried again. "Are you sure?"

"Yes." The monster's body began to shift. Slowly. It no longer looked like a horse, but Pauline couldn't yet tell what it was transforming into--if anything. "What is it that you want from me, archiver? Beyond mere questions. You came here to hunt me, no? To destroy me and my spawn?"

"...I want you to stop killing people," he said bluntly.

"That makes little sense to me. Why would an archiver care about such things? That is the work of aura warriors."

"...I think you may be talking about how things were in the distant past. You have a false perception of who I am and what I should want."

"The distant past?" said Chort. "No. The passage of time should make little difference. Archivers are archivers, and aura warriors are aura warriors. You are all too stubborn to change."

"...Sounds like projection, if I've ever heard it."

"An insult. How dare you."

"You've insulted me a dozen times."

"I have only ever spoken the truth."

Pauline had to wonder if Lord Goffe really did have a handle on this conversation. From his composure, he seemed as calm and collected as could be, but some of these things being said still managed to worry her. She could only imagine how the other listeners must've been feeling. If not for Lord Goffe's protective aura, some of them probably would have been trembling from anxiety alone.

"Alright, look," said Lord Goffe. "Is there any way that I can convince you to stop attacking humans?"

"No," said Chort plainly.

No comments:

Post a Comment