Friday, June 5, 2020

Page 2335

((The Mon/Wen/Fri Double -- page 2 of 2))
"I see, I see," said Roman. "So the problem isn't that you literally cannot create an avatar quickly. It's that you're a perfectionist."

'Excuse me?'

"I'm right, aren't I? You can make an avatar whenever you want, but it'll just look janky as hell. You're like an illustrator or painter obsessing over their craft, too embarrassed to show anyone your work until it's exactly to your liking.'

'...That's not accurate at all. It has nothing to do with a sense of artistry. It's for the purpose of making the avatar actually "pass" as lifelike, undetected.'

"Yeah, yeah, sure, but we already know that it'll be an illusion, so in this case, the lifelike part is superfluous, don't you think?"

'Ah...'

"C'mon, I dare you to make a super primitive avatar for yourself, right now. In like one minute."

'Eh...'

"We won't be bothered if it looks weird. In fact, the weirder the better, I say. Right, Hector?"

Hector had no idea why Roman was trying to bring him back into the conversation. "Er. Sure."

'I don't think so...'

"Just do it! It'll be great!" Roman started pumping his fists as if sitting at a dinner table. "Avatar, avatar, avatar, avatar...!"

'Okay, fine. One minute, you said.'

"Yeah!"

And so they started waiting.

"I'm gettin' excited," said Roman. "I wonder what it's gonna look like. Is it gonna be like a flat, 2D drawing floating in front of us? That'd be pretty neat. Oh, or do you think it'll be some kind of horrific, uncanny-valley-style mutant abomination? I'd be cool with that, too, honestly. Maybe even more so."

Hector just listened quietly, the majority of his attention being paid to the non-servants on the other side of the cafeteria. He was glad Roman was able to enjoy himself, though, even in these strange circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment