Sunday, May 31, 2020

Page 2327

"What do you mean by 'aura,' exactly?" said Hector. "You're not referring to its soul, are you?"

'No,' said Pauline. 'Souls and auras are linked, but they're not the same thing. They can have profound effects on one another.'

Profound effects?

Hector wanted to ask for further explanation, but everyone was waiting on him, and he felt like this could turn into a rather long conversation if he allowed it to.

"Well, if you insist on helping, I won't try to stop you," he said. "But I want you to stay close by. If something does happen, I'll try my best to keep you out of harm's way."

'Oh my. So gallant.'

"That's not--what I--agh..."

'Hee hee. Are you embarrassed?'

Aw, shit.

Hector turned and started walking back to the iron dome he'd made for the others. "Just don't go off on your own, please."

'That's fine. I can scout pretty far away without moving at all. Oh, and hey, should I reveal myself to your friends, too?'

Hector stopped and half-turned. He didn't need to look, since she wasn't actually visible, but he at least wanted to talk in her direction again. "Do you want to?"

'Mm, I don't know. It'll be a little awkward if you're the only one who knows I'm here, won't it?'

"There are Lorentian politicians over there, you know. My people would be fine, but they'll probably freak out if they see you."

'Yeah, but I'll be lonely if I can't talk to anyone!'

Hector just looked at her.

'Alright, fine, I'll stay hidden. I guess you'll just have to talk to me enough for everyone.'

"...How? If I respond to anything you say, they'll think I'm crazy."

'That sounds like a YOU problem.'

He couldn't tell if she was joking or not. "Just... we'll talk later, okay?"

'I'll hold you to that, Lord Darksteel.'

No comments:

Post a Comment