Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Page 2321

((The Mon/Wen/Fri Double -- page 1 of 2))
The Secretary did not look pleased. "You think they may have betrayed me."

Hector cocked an eyebrow. Was she getting upset at him? "Do you think that they may have betrayed you?"

She looked like she wanted to say no, but she only frowned, instead.

"...Can you think of a reason why they might leave you here?" said Hector.

She glanced at Stoutamire, then at the three attendants. "I... have my enemies. As any public figure does."

"...But is there something more specific?" said Hector.

She exhaled. "Ah... you're looking for what you would call a 'credible threat,' no?"

Was he? It just seemed like a sensible thing to ask about, Hector thought.

"There was an incident a few months ago," she went on, "wherein three members of Congress were convicted of treason."

That was certainly news to Hector.

"I was... tangentially involved, you might say," she said.

"How so?" said Hector.

"I bankrolled the lead prosecutor when all of his other funding had mysteriously dried up. I tried to keep my name out of it, but I suspect my efforts only went so far."

Hector couldn't help feeling like he'd just heard a secret that he might've been safer not knowing. It was quite a familiar feeling, actually.

"It is unlikely that those three were the only conspirators," she said. "If they wanted me dead, then I suppose it would be quite convenient if the Beast of Lorent took care of it for them. No need to risk an assassination attempt. My death would not look suspicious at all this way, would it? How could I have been so blind?"

Hector held up a hand. "Alright, well, let's not jump to too many conclusions yet. It was just a thought. We don't actually have any proof that your bodyguards betrayed you. It really might've just been the Beast that got them."

No comments:

Post a Comment