Sunday, May 10, 2020

Page 2277

~~((The Mother's Day Special -- page 12 of 14))~~
"Why would he lie about that?" said Hector.

<"Because he does not wish to tell me the truth,"> said the Queen.

Hector's expression flattened a little. "Well, yeah... I meant, like, what would he want to hide from you?"

<"Oh, any number of things. Perhaps he means to make you an offer in hopes of stealing you from Atreya.">

Hector blinked, and his head reared back. Seriously?

<"Or perhaps he hopes to conduct business with you discreetly, behind my back. Or he could simply be trying to plant an idea in your head and use you to help persuade me of something in the future. The possibilities are only limited by one's imagination, Hector.">

He scratched his head. "Uh... okay. Are you sure I should meet with this guy, then? Because this is sounding like nothing but trouble."

<"Yes, it probably will be. However, our relationship with Lorent is vital, now more than ever. This could be an easy way to improve--or to at least gain some insight into what their government is thinking. I have no doubt that the ambassador requested this meeting at someone else's behest.">

Damn. She was really trusting him with some major shit here, wasn't she?

Hector was honored. And also pretty fucking uncomfortable.

"...Alright," he said. As long as Garovel came to the meeting with him, Hector figured he wouldn't screw things up too badly. "When will this meeting take place?"

<"He will be at the royal palace tomorrow.">

"Tomorrow?!"

<"I am aware it is short notice,"> said the Queen. <"I can postpone it, if you prefer, but the sooner, the better. The ambassador seems quite enthused to meet you, but he is also a busy man, much like yourself. It could be quite some time before both of your schedules line up perfectly.">

"Ah..."

<"I understand if you have more important matters to take care of, but I ask that you make time for this, if at all possible.">

No comments:

Post a Comment