Sunday, May 10, 2020

Page 2279

~~((The Mother's Day Special -- page 14 of 14))~~
"Ah," the man said, his flat face about as expressive as a wall. "Lord Goffe. There you are. Thank you for meeting me. I know how busy you must be during these turbulent times."

Hector returned a nod. "Ambassador Stoutamire. Pleased to make your acquaintance." Behind him, the woman who'd guided him through the palace bowed and excused herself silently. Hector might not have even realized she left if not for the Scarf.

"Not as pleased as I am, I'm sure." The surly look on his face didn't match his words, nor did his tone. Maybe he just had one of those faces, though.

But that did strike Hector as a little odd. The man was an ambassador, an official representative of an entire nation. You'd think a person with that kind of job would have a friendlier disposition.

Then again, Hector supposed he was in no position to judge something like that. "Why is it that you requested to meet with me?" he asked.

"Straight to the point, then." Stoutamire adjusted the silvery cuffs on his black-and-red suit. "I am unaccustomed to such earnestness, but I must say, it is a welcome change. My peers often tell me that I am too blunt by a half."

Earnestness? Hector wasn't even sure what he meant.

Stoutamire looked him square in the eye. "I have come here today in hopes of enlisting your help, Lord Goffe."

Hector did not react. He just waited for elaboration.

"I do not know if this is the... 'proper channel' to go through for such a request, but all the same, I hope the unusual circumstances of this meeting have at least made clear the severity of what I am about to say. My... superiors do not wish me to use the word 'desperate' to refer to our situation." The man allowed a pause. "So I will not use it."

"...Why didn't you inform the Queen of this request for aid?" said Hector.

No comments:

Post a Comment