Friday, May 1, 2020

Page 2246

~~((The Totally-Not-Random May 1st Special -- page 10 of 18))~~
When no one else said anything, Hanton decided to continue. 'Additionally, we Wrobels have our own network of contacts to call upon. Our brethren who are also in hiding could prove enormously beneficial in the gathering of intelligence. To that end, only my family will suffice.'

"I see," said the King. "That does sound quite helpful. I will speak to my wife about this matter for you. I will make no promises, however. This is quite an important position you are seeking to occupy."

'I understand. And thank you. Allow me to say one final thing in the vein of self-promotion. In matters of espionage and intelligence-gathering, trust can be a difficult and very sensitive issue, but in the end, the results will always speak for themselves. Given the chance, we will not disappoint. I assure you.'

The King smiled that familiar smile of his. "I admire your confidence."

'Thank you.'

The King's postured shifted somewhat. "That being said, this all seems like a rather large endeavor for just a handful of individuals. As I recall, you do not have that many children. Even if the Queen grants your request, I imagine that we will still have need of other agents. Might you have any recommendations to that end?"

'I do,' said Hanton. 'A number of individuals come to mind. I will draft a list for you.'

"That would be appreciated."

The giant bird paused, beady eyes shifting briefly between listeners. 'There is... one man I wish to recommend above all others. His list of accomplishments was unlike any I had ever seen during my time as Director of the Agency of Foreign Affairs. However, there is one major problem.'

"Well, don't leave me in suspense," said the King.

Hanton still seemed reluctant. 'He is one of those unfortunate individuals I mentioned earlier. A political prisoner.'

No comments:

Post a Comment