Friday, May 1, 2020

Page 2238

~~((The Totally-Not-Random May 1st Special -- page 2 of 18))~~
'Are you looking to blame us for Atreya's ill fortune in these matters as well?' said Hanton.

"I don't know," the King said. "Blame seems unproductive at this juncture, but the coincidence does strike me as strange, nonetheless. Because, well, the way I see it, there are only three possibilities. First, it truly is all a coincidence. Second, House Gaolanet is somehow responsible for these horrible events. Or third, the opposite. Perhaps it is precisely your absence as royal advisors that has been the damnable catalyst."

Hanton's avian head reared back a little.

Everyone else seemed a bit perplexed as well.

Hanton made a noise that Hector didn't recognize--a kind of rumbling chirp from deep within the giant bird's chest. A laugh? 'My daughter would be ecstatic to hear you even mention that last possibility.'

"Ah, Pauline. How is she doing, by the way?"

'As spirited as ever. Or perhaps even more so, if you can believe it.'

"I can. My memories of her are few, but I can. In fact, I'm surprised she didn't accompany you here."

'Oh, she wanted to. Thankfully, she still listens to me, from time to time.'

"I should like to meet her again," said the King.

'Truly, Your Highness?'

"Yes."

'Then... I suppose that can be arranged. Another day, of course. I fear we are beginning to get sidetracked.'

"Of course."

As Hector kept listening, a part of him was in quiet awe of this conversation--of the King, in particular. That was the first time that Hanton Gaolanet had referred to him as "Your Highness" so far. Maybe Hector was reading too much into it, but that struck him as significant.

"Before we move on to more current matters, however," said the King, "I would like to know more about your falling out with Martinus."

'Ah...'

"Why did he strip you of your position?"

No comments:

Post a Comment