Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Page 1794

“As others tell it, however, Lhutwë chose a divine successor to lead us in his absence. The Water Dragon. They say that Lhutwë, though he can no longer intervene in our lives directly due to our own profound imperfection, still continues to work through the Water Dragon to guide and protect us.”

“Wow. I’m guessing you don’t believe that?”

“No, I do not. Few among us do, anymore.”

“It does seem a little far-fetched.”

“But there is evidence to support it.”

Madison blinked. “Really?”

“For all of the fable’s faults, there is certainly a degree of truth in it.”

“How so?”

“The fountain,” said Dimas. “The Fountain of Lhutwë is real. Or was, at the very least. In the story, its power seems exaggerated, but in reality, there are many historical accounts of the Fountain being used by the Water Dragon of a given generation to acquire unparalleled strength.”

Madison didn’t quite follow. “But in the story, Lhutwë took the fountain away, didn’t he?”

“Yes.”

“So then...?”

“It does not make sense, yes.”

“Oh. Okay. Just checking.”

“However, due to recent... events, I have been thinking about this story quite a bit.”

“Why?”

“A friend of mine put forth a new theory. He said that, rather than choosing to abandon us of his own accord, perhaps Lhutwë was forced to leave for some other reason.”

“What other reason?”

“...That is difficult to say,” said Dimas.

“You seem awfully interested in it for someone who said you don’t believe any of this stuff.”

“I also said that I did not know what I believed.”

“Well, if you’re looking for answers, then I’m afraid you’ve come to the wrong person, because I don’t know what I believe, either.” At Dimas’ blank expression, Madison nudged herself closer again. “If you’re looking for a girlfriend, though... I might be able to help you out.”

He cocked an eyebrow at her another time. “Is that right?”

Rather than answering, she just returned a big smile.

“Even after hearing that story, you would be interested in a relationship with me?”

Madison was confused. “Why would that have deterred me? And, hey, wait a minute. Did you know I was interested all along?”

“...That story paints a rather bleak picture of my kin, I feel. Are you sure you wish to get involved with people like us? Because make no mistake, I am inexorably bound to my brethren. I have a duty to them which goes beyond anything else in this life or the next.”

“Excuse me, but you didn’t answer the question.”

“I answered a question.”

“Honey, if you’re trying to make me stop finding you attractive, you’re doing a terrible job of it. I happen to love being teased.”

At that, Dimas’ eyes widened a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment