Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Page 1724

((Triple Wednesday -- Page 2 of 3))
Leo took a breath. “Well, I just figured, y’know, ah--what better way to prove myself trustworthy than through honest work? ‘Cuz you... you do have that type of work, right? I mean, I just kinda got the impression that you did.”

Hector had to stop and think about that. “...I might.”

“Yeah! Right!” Leo gave a laugh that sounded a little nervous. “‘Cuz you’re not like a, heh... a super drug lord ‘r anything... are you?”

“...No, I’m not.”

“I mean, don’t get me wrong--I’m ultra-supportive of recreational drug use, but only in a safe, controlled, and well-educated environment, know what I’m sayin’?”

Hector didn’t, really, but decided to just nod anyway.

“People who prey on and help propagate the misery of the less fortunate--I ain’t got much forgiveness in me for folks like that, man.”

This guy sure was chatty all of a sudden. “...What sort of ‘honest work’ are you looking for, exactly?” said Hector.

“Oh, ah, hmm, that’s, uh... that’s a good question, man. Just... ah... a-anything you need done, I s’pose. I mean, it’s been kind of a long time since I’ve had a proper job, y’know? Like a job-job. If I’m bein’ totally honest, I’m kinda blankin’ on examples at the moment... I guess it’s just been that long... egh...” Leo scratched his cheek. “Fact, maybe I never had a proper job... I musta, though, right?” He was looking at Hector as if it were somehow possible for Hector to know the answer to that question. “Be kinda embarrassing if I didn’t, man...”

Hmm. This was actually beginning to make a surprising amount of sense, Hector thought. Leo was a lost sheep, after all. He needed direction. He seemed to be craving it, even.

A sheep in need of a shepherd.

It sure would’ve been nice if Hector had any fucking idea how he was supposed be a goddamn shepherd or whatever. Because apparently, he’d managed to convince this guy that he was.

He only hoped that Garovel would be able to bail him out of this situation later, somehow. He’d have to survive it first, though.

“...Ah, well, I’ll figure something out for you,” said Hector, trying not to worry about the fact that he was tossing yet another log onto the roaring bonfire of problems and promises that were already waiting to be dealt with.

“Cool. It’s just, y’know, I’ve been feelin’ kinda worthless lately, so I’d really like to, uh, contribute. To a good cause, I mean.” Leo shook his head. “E’erbody makes that seem so easy, man. I dunno how they do it. Especially when we start gettin’ older, know what I mean? All the things we’ve seen? All the betrayals and broken promises?”

Hector didn’t like where this conversation was going.

“I ‘member, this one time, I was workin’ for a charity out in Steccat. Big business stuff. Real famous, very well-known and respected. I forget the name ‘cuz it folded up after the scandal, but yeah. Seemed totally legit and trustworthy at the time, man.” He clicked his tongue. “But nope. Embezzlin’ funds. Stealin’ from the poor. Buncha bastards.”

No comments:

Post a Comment