Monday, May 28, 2018

Page 1791

((Memorial Day Special -- Page 10 of 12))
“Ah,” said Dimas. “Yes, we have mostly ceased all such religious practices regarding him. However, he still remains an important aspect of our history, in my opinion. And... there are some among us who do still truly believe in him.”

She nodded attentively, not wanting to miss a single word. “I see. And does that include you?”

“I... honestly do not know,” said Dimas.

Huh. Madison was a bit surprised by that. He didn’t strike her as the indecisive type, and now she had to know more. “Why not?”

“One of my family members is quite religious,” said Dimas, “and he frequently tries to convince me that the old ways were correct. I do not yet know if I believe him or not. And there is also...” He seemed to think better of whatever he was going to say, and the sentence went unfinished.

That was okay, though. Madison could relate. “I’ve had friends like that, too,” she said. “Lemme guess. Is he super nice and friendly but also kinda guilt-trippy?”

“...That describes him exactly, yes.”

“Knew it,” she said with a nod. “Friends like that can be tough to deal with. It’s usually best to just be straight with them, though, and tell them when they’re making you uncomfortable with their proselytizing.” Man, that word-a-day app was the best thing she ever downloaded.

“I don’t think that will work with him,” said Dimas.

“Really? Well, you might be surprised. But even if it doesn’t, you could just tell him to cut it out.”

“But what if he is right?”

“Oh. Uh. Then... listen to what he says?”

“And what if he is wrong?”

“Alright, hey, I don’t have all the answers. I know I look like I do, but gimme a break.”

That finally pulled a smile out of him. Not a big one, maybe, but she could at least be sure that she’d seen it this time.

Her heart swelled up a little, and she couldn’t help smiling as well. She hated when that happened, though. Her most natural smile was goofy and stupid, she’d always felt. It was too mouthy, if that made any sense, and it had been that way ever since her awkward teenage years. The smile that she’d perfected for her movie career was the one that she wanted Dimas to see, but it was so damn difficult to control, sometimes.

She averted her gaze and pretended to observe the rainbow room another time while she recomposed herself.

“...Would you like to hear an old fable of Lhutwë?” said Dimas. “Perhaps then you will be able to tell me what you think of my friend’s beliefs.”

“Oh, ah, sure! Though, I’m not sure I should pass judgment on an entire religion after hearing only one story from it.”

“...That is true and wise,” said Dimas. “But I want you to do it, anyway.”

She actually snorted a laugh that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment