Friday, April 6, 2018

Page 1669

((TZKS 5th Anniversary -- Page 18 of 24))
“And look,” said Roman, “I understand that you’re having difficulties with your reaper, right now, but I think you’ll find that I’m a very good employer. I will pay you well for your services, and I’m sure I can bring Ericoros around. Even if he loves Sai-hee, I’ll make him love me more.”

Leo squinted and scratched the tip of his nose. “Uh, how, exactly?”

“What do you mean, how?”

“I mean, how do you plan to make Ericoros love you? He’s, uh... rather difficult to win over.”

“Just leave that to me. I can be very persuasive.”

“Nope. Don’t think so. Appreciate the offer, though, chief.” He turned to leave again.

“Wait! What?! Why not?! It’s a great offer! I’m not lying, you know! Go ahead and check! I’m filthy rich! I’m so rich that sometimes I feel kinda bad about it!”

“That’s good to know, but it ain’t about money, man. Money don’t bring you happiness.”

“Yeah, well, not having it certainly brought me sadness. I know what it’s like to be poorer than dirt, so don’t give me any of that crap about money not being important. It’s important as hell.”

Leo sighed. “Yo, man, I ain’t no sell out.”

Oh... fuck. Leo was one of those people. Roman supposed he should’ve seen that coming, considering everything else he knew about the man.

“I’m--argh, I’m not saying you are, Leo. I’m just saying, I’d be a very good boss to have. Trust me. You’d like working for me. Money is only one aspect of it, alright? I’m not just some money loving psycho. I’ve got big plans for the future, and I’d like you to be part of them. That’s how I plan on convincing Ericoros. By showing him that you and him will be a part of something much greater and more meaningful in the long-term.”

Leo’s eyes were already glazed over. “Spoken like a real youngin’. You know how many times I’ve heard people say stuff like that? Lemme guess, you wanna change the world? You upset the balance of power and save loads of people in the process?”

Roman couldn’t deny that he wanted those things, but he also didn’t want to come across as a starry-eyed child. “My reaper and I have a solid plan.”

“Lemme guess that, too. You’re gonna take it slow and steady until you can recruit more people like me to your side?”

“That’s... one aspect of it, yes, but there are others--”

“Save your breath, bro. Heard it all before. And nothin’ you say has any power behind it. Even if you make all the sense in the world, you gotta have that power to back it up. And what, you want ME to be that power for you? I’m not that strong, chief. Not against the likes of Iceheart and the Knife and whoever else might be out there now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment