Friday, April 6, 2018

Page 1653

((TZKS 5th Anniversary -- Page 2 of 24))
That thought made Hector stop running. ‘Are you sure that’s a good idea? What if someone finds what you write down?

She paused. ‘They... wouldn’t be able to discern anything important from this list, would they?

That’s the thing. I don’t know. Would they?

I...’ She didn’t finish her thought.

Maybe I’m just being paranoid, but I think we need to be extremely careful with... whatever this is. Even if it’s inconvenient for you, I don’t think you should write down anything I tell you.

I suppose you are right,’ said Emiliana. ‘It is better to be safe than sorry.

And as he thought about it more, Hector began to get a dreadful feeling of familiarity--a feeling that he very much wanted to heed. ‘It might be best if we come up with some sort of code, too.

A code? Is that really necessary?

Maybe. Maybe not. I don’t know. I’m just thinking that it would be good if we had an extra layer of... assurance, I guess. Assurance that you and I are really speaking to one another, I mean.

What are you talking about? You and I are the only ones who can use the Shards to communicate like this.

...As far as we know.’ Hector started walking again, then gradually increased his pace. ‘I admit that it’s unlikely, but... I just... I’ve had really bad experiences with... a lack of precaution in the past. And I’ve also seen some really weird shit, lately. Like, people’s minds being screwed around with. So...

People’s minds? As in, mind control?

Not sure. Might just be memories getting erased. It’s something to that effect, though, so yeah, maybe I’m being a little paranoid, but it’s just... it’s easy for me to imagine someone trying to use this... link of ours against us.

Hmm. But, Hector, I know that I am talking to you. I do not know HOW, exactly, but I can sense that it is YOU who is talking to me. Is it not the same for you?

N-no, it is. I do recognize your... “voice” or whatever, but... uh... this is all just guesswork on our part. What if our brains can be tricked into thinking that they’re talking to someone else? I mean, I just... I don’t have much faith in the human brain, right now.

Hmm...

And because we can’t see each other, all we have to go on is this vague “feeling” of who we’re talking to.

I see your point, but... if that is what you truly think, then how can you be certain at this very moment that I really am Emiliana Elroy and not some imposter?

That actually gave Hector pause, though only for a second. ‘Because you remembered what we last talked about,’ he told her.

Ah...

In fact... maybe that should be our code.

What do you mean?

I mean... from now on, whenever we start a new conversation with one another, we have to reference whatever we last talked about.

Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment