Friday, April 6, 2018

Page 1668

((TZKS 5th Anniversary -- Page 17 of 24))
Roman’s brow twitched. ‘Have you not been listening to everything I’ve been saying?

Of course I have! I mean. Maybe not “everything,” but you know, most of it, for sure.

Voreese!

Relax, Roman, I got this.

I feel like you don’t!

“Got any queens?” said Leo.

Roman did and handed it over to him. He spent the next few minutes reiterating everything that he had thought Voreese already knew, just to make sure everyone was on the same page. Between that and paying close attention to Leo, Roman figured this had to be the most stressful game of Go Fish that he had ever played in his life.

At length, however, Leo set his cards down again, and that glazed look came over him one more time. “I’m just not feelin’ this right now, my man.”

“What? Why? What’s wrong?”

“This is just takin’ too long, dude.”

“But we’re almost done!” They weren’t, really, but that was beside the point. He needed to keep Leo here.

“Whatever. You win. I concede.” Leo stood up from the table and stretched his arms over his head. “Whew. How about that movie now, eh?”

That was pretty decisive. Not really any space for argument, Roman felt. If he tried to push the game on him any harder, then Leo would probably get suspicious. Which would certainly suck. “I--ah--hold on. Why don’t we stay and talk a while. I’m still curious to know more about Ericoros.”

“I can tell you about him on the way. Let’s go.” And he started for the door.

“Wait--uh, actually--” Running out of options, Roman just said the first thing that came to mind. “There’s something important that I’ve been meaning to tell you.”

That made Leo stop and turn.

Well, shit. There was only one thing he could think of that would justify saying something like that.

But then, maybe it was time. Maybe it wouldn’t be a disaster. Maybe it would even work out well in the end.

Maybe.

Voreese? Sorry. Gonna offer him a job.

I TOLD YOU TO WAIT!

Can’t. I’m doin’ it. Wish me luck.

AGH! FUCK YOUR LUCK!

Leo was waiting patiently and confusedly.

Roman was slow to pull out the necessary words. “...I think you should quit working for Sai-hee and come work for me, instead.”

Leo was silent a moment. “...‘Scuse me?”

“I know this was only supposed to be a temporary gig, you trying to repay me for helping you. Which, actually, I suppose you’d have to do TWICE over now, considering you’d be turning in my allies for your own gain--but that’s neither here nor there. What I’m saying is that I want to hire you full-time. To help me protect my homeland of Atreya, mainly, though I may come up with other jobs for you, too.”

Leo opened his mouth, then closed it again and puffed out his cheeks. “Hmm.”

No comments:

Post a Comment