Saturday, October 31, 2020

Page 2710

~~((Halloween Special - Page 6 of 30))~~
This was all to say that Parson knew what thin ice he was treading on here. While he felt that it might be possible to gain valuable knowledge from Morgunov, he also had to be exceptionally cautious with his choice of words and mannerisms.

"...I don't understand," said Parson. "How is covering his eyes supposed to prevent someone else from watching?"

Morgunov paused, tilting his head at him. "Hmm? You're not a toddler anymore, Parsey Boy. Surely, you know about the existence of Sparrows."

As a matter of fact, he did.

"Or did you perhaps think that I didn't know about them? That they were some kind of super Vannie secret? You guys are pretty protective of them, aren't you?"

Parson was still struggling for a response, and Morgunov didn't give him much of a window before he kept talking.

"Oh! Or are you just trying to play dumb in order to take advantage of my affection for curious little dumplings? Tryin' to get on my good side like the cunning monkey you are, hmm?"

Shit, he needed to deflect. "Actually, I was more wondering whether the blindfold had anything to do with Asad's reaper."

Morgunov just looked at him, eyes and smile unmoving.

"I thought that, perhaps, you didn't want Asad to see his surroundings, because he then might be able to give information to his reaper."

"I see, I see," said Morgunov. "That's a rather gutsy implication there, my boy. You're suggesting that I allowed Qorvass to escape." His eyes widened slightly. "That I made a mistake."

There was no use balking now. "I'm just curious. It seemed odd to me."

"Yeah-huh?"

"...And if you were worried about Sparrows," said Parson, "then you would need to cover my eyes, too, wouldn't you? As well as everyone else's?"

"Eheheheh. The cunning monkey, indeed!"

No comments:

Post a Comment