Saturday, October 31, 2020

Page 2711

~~((Halloween Special - Page 7 of 30))~~
"Are you admitting it, then?" said Parson. "You let the reaper escape?"

"Why so curious?" said Morgunov. "Ya think that one little ol' reaper might be your salvation, Parsey Boy? You know better than that by now, don'tcha?"

"I don't know," said Parson. "What if Qorvass manages to contact Sermung?"

"Eheh, here's hoping!"

Wow. Momentarily, Parson was tempted to say that he remembered witnessing the two of them clash before--and moreover, that he remembered how Morgunov hadn't looked quite so happy then.

But his better judgment won out. There was no point in antagonizing the madman--even if, on occasion, Morgunov had been known to respect those who dared to try it.

For now, all that mattered was playing the part of an eager student. And stalling for time, perhaps, though he knew that part was likely to be a futile endeavor.

As Morgunov's attention seemed to be drifting back down to Asad, Parson came up with a new angle of approach.

"You know what I'm really curious about," he said, "is those machines of yours. They're remarkable."

"Mm, like 'em, do ya? Thought you'd be more upset, considering how easily they handed you your own keister."

Parson had to relinquish a nod at that. "Got me there. But I can still admire their craftsmanship, can't I?"

Morgunov gave him a sidelong look. "You're not one of them masochistic types, are ya? They're not those types of machines, I'll have you know! They're good boys! I only designed them for the very wholesome purposes of kidnapping, murder, and conquest!"

Right. Parson wondered if he should try to lean more into his own madness here. To invoke a sense of kindred spirits, perhaps. "Wasn't my intention to suggest otherwise. Did you really make all those things yourself, though? That seems like so much work. Even if I had the know-how, I don't think I'd have the patience."

"Oh, indeed, indeed. Took me quite a few years, you know. Probably coulda finished 'em faster, but I can be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to this kinda stuff. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing, I always say."

No comments:

Post a Comment