Monday, October 5, 2020

Page 2651

~~((National Do Something Nice Day Special -- Page 21 of 24))~~
"Well, the first reason is simply because Sair is the gateway to Intar," said Miles. "If the Vanguard allows you to take it, then you may well be able to drag another of the continental superpowers into the war."

"Mmhmm, mmhmm," said Morgunov while bobbing his head. "Bold of you to assume that I couldn't do that without conquering Sair first, but go on."

That earned a pause from Miles before he continued. "Secondly, you clearly have some plan for Asad Najir."

"Oh, that's clear, is it? Why is that clear? You said it was believable when I said I just grabbed him for his tattoos, didn't you?" Morgunov held a hand in front his mouth and gasped. "Unless?! Don't tell me! You were lying when you told me that?!"

"We thought that much was obvious."

"Eheh. Well, maybe. But you know what's REALLY obvious? This act of yours, pretending like you don't already know what I'm after. You're not concerned about Intar. You're concerned what I'll do with the power of a god at my fingertips."

"What in the world are you talking about? The power of a god?"

"Ah, yes! Don't let the facade of ignorance slip! Maybe I'll believe you if you keep it up for long enough!"

"You really are a madman..."

"You're still in contact with the Liar of Lyste, aren't you? That's how you knew to come here. And why you're here alone. When you found out how urgent it was, you knew you didn't have time to wait for backup, hmm? Organizing a proper response to me would take quite a while, now wouldn't it?"

Miles was just frowning.

"I've got an idea!" said Morgunov. "I think I'll go pay the Liar a visit next! I wonder what interesting things I'll be able to learn from him!"

Still, Miles remained silent.

"And y'know! I bet it would be an even better meeting if you came along, too, Parson Miles!"

And the sand dunes all around them began to tremble.

No comments:

Post a Comment