Monday, October 5, 2020

Page 2649

~~((National Do Something Nice Day Special -- Page 19 of 24))~~
Miles frowned deeply. "Unfortunately, we cut ties with the old pal that you're thinking of a long time ago."

"Yes, I heard something to that effect," said Morgunov. "But then I thought, maybe that's just what you wily kiddies WANT me to believe! To help keep Papa Morgunov off the scent, hmm?! While you're getting up to all sorts of sneaky business!"

"We would never presume that we could slip anything past you, of all people," said Miles.

"Flattery or sarcasm? Perhaps a bit of both? You're a walking contradiction, y'know that? Or a floating contradiction, in this case."

"Coming from you, we will take that as a compliment."

"Eheheh. So what're you hoping to achieve by showing up here all of a sudden and challenging me, hmm? Just the boring tactic of trying to buy time for your big, scary friends? Or do you actually think you can take me down all by your lonesome?"

"The former, I'm afraid."

"Aww! Booooo! Have some stones, man! Tell me I've seen my last sunset or something cool like that!"

"Heh, we don't see much point posturing in front of someone who can see right through us."

"Ooh, flattery again? Say, you're not tryin' to join Abolish, are you?"

"Afraid not."

"Pity. All in all, I thought you performed well during our clash at Bellvine. Struck the killing blow on me. Pretty impressive."

"You weren't exactly yourself, though, were you?"

"Eheh, what does it even mean to be oneself? Who knows? Maybe I was closer to my true self then than at any other point in my life!"

Miles' eyes narrowed a little, and he glanced at Asad before addressing Morgunov again. "You said... you already have what you came for?"

"I did say that, yes. Good listener."

"Your objective was to capture Asad Najir, then?"

"Hmm? Oh, is that who this is? Honestly, I just nabbed him 'cause I thought his tattoos looked cool!"

Miles bobbed his head. "Considering who I'm talking to, that's actually somewhat believable..."

No comments:

Post a Comment