Monday, October 5, 2020

Page 2641

~~((National Do Something Nice Day Special -- Page 11 of 24))~~
"Hush now," said Morgunov, frowning suddenly. Somehow, that expression was even more unsettling than his ever present smile. "You haven't yet earned the right to speak, little ones. Behave yourself and you may yet live." He paused. "I mean, okay, you probably won't, honestly, but hey, it becomes a non-zero possibility, at least."

The muted screaming ceased.

Morgunov's smile returned, and he eyed Asad again. "That's better. Are you able to concentrate on what matters, now? I sure hope so. Wouldn't want you to miss out. You're the key, you know. I'm going to let you see all sorts of amazing things before our time together is concluded."

Mechanical tendrils reached for Asad now, and he didn't even have the heart to fight them. With two hostages, no materialization, an emperor staring him in the face, he didn't really see much point in struggling. And indeed, when he consulted Qorvass privately, the reaper affirmed as much.

The only positive was that Morgunov released the monstrous grip of his hand in order to let the machines take over.

"So tell me," the Mad Demon went on, "where'd you get those tattoos?"

"...My mother gave them to me when I was young," he said.

"Ah, is that so? Neat! Those must've been quite the boon, eh? Kept you nice 'n safe, I bet. Is your ol' mama still around?"

"No."

"Hmm, really? You're not lying to me now, are you? Lying is the tool of cowards, jerks, and swindlers, you know. You don't want to be one of those three, do you?"

"It's the truth," he said tiredly.

Morgunov eyed him intently for a long moment, bobbing his head from one side to another. "Welp. Alrighty, then. Guess I believe you. So have you managed to speak to your Dry God yet?"

Asad thought he couldn't be surprised anymore, but that did it, and his eyes bulged.

Morgunov just waited quizzically for his response, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment