Monday, October 5, 2020

Page 2650

~~((National Do Something Nice Day Special -- Page 20 of 24))~~
"Of course it's believable," said Morgunov. "You think I would ever be so morally bankrupt as to lie? If so, then I must say, I'm insulted."

Miles made no response.

Morgunov just kept talking. "Hey, where's your Titan at? If you knew I was going to be here, then you must've told him, right? Or do you really think that Iceheart will be enough to stop me?"

"Maybe you should wait around a bit longer and find out," said Miles.

And Morgunov paused, wide eyes stuck open--perhaps with contemplation, perhaps anticipation. Then he smiled broadly, of course. "Eheh! If you think I came here unprepared to fight anyone less than Sermung himself, then I'm afraid you're going to be in for a rude awakening, my boy!"

It was Miles' turn to pause. He looked much more uncertain than Morgunov had, however.

"Feel lucky, Parson Miles," laughed the Mad Demon. "I don't give out warnings like that very often. Usually, I just do stuff and sort out the consequences later. Eheh, or leave that part to other people!"

"People like us, you mean," said Miles.

"Mm, maybe."

"Well, unfortunately, as much as I might like to turn around and leave you be, I don't think that would be a very wise move, right now."

"Oho! And why not? I mean, I wasn't going to let you get away without playing with me a lot more first, but I'm still curious to know what kind of reasoning goes on in that sneaky little head of yours!"

Miles' expression tensed.

It seemed clear to Asad that Morgunov was still just screwing around in anticipation of others showing up. He could attack Miles at any moment, and Miles probably knew that--which was why the Vanguardian captain general didn't seem to mind letting this conversation drag on for however long the Mad Demon wanted it to.

"If you must know," said Miles, "I have a number of reasons."

"Do tell!"

No comments:

Post a Comment