Monday, October 5, 2020

Page 2637

~~((National Do Something Nice Day Special -- Page 7 of 24))~~
Morgunov was chuckling. "Now, let's just calm down for a hot sec, shall we? Is it too much to ask for a nice little conversation before you try to kill me? That's quite rude, you know."

'Hmph,' said Qorvass. 'Are you really going to pretend like you didn't want Asad to attack you? After popping up behind him like that?'

"Ah, Qorvass!" said Morgunov with widening eyes and smile. "How long has it been?! Decades?! Centuries?!"

What? Asad stopped struggling to listen.

'I wouldn't have minded if it were a bit longer,' said Qorvass.

"Oh, my feelings," said Morgunov.

And it was only now that Asad realized the Mad Demon was speaking with two voices.

"So what do you think?" said Morgunov, not waiting for a response. "Is it time for our plan to finally come to fruition? You've been undercover so long! You must be tired of pretending by now, right?! Come and join me again! We've missed your company!"

Asad's expression hardened as he tried not to react, but he still couldn't keep his gaze from trembling. He wanted to look at Qorvass, but the reaper was attached to his upper back.

For a time, no one said anything.

"I'm just messin' with ya," said Morgunov with a laugh. "Qorvass didn't betray you. Scary thought, though, right? Never can be too sure of what the ol' reapers are really up to, can ya? Could just be a matter of time 'til he sells you out. Or everyone you've ever cared about. D'you think that'd be worse? I think it might be. Tough to say, really. Depends on how selfish you are, I suppose. Deep down, y'know? So deep that you're afraid to even admit it to yourself, perhaps, hmm?"

'Are you done?' said Qorvass.

"Just a little food for thought," said Morgunov. "As the senior servant here, it's my duty to impart the wisdom I've gained over the years to my juniors."

'You're so full of shit.'

And the Mad Demon just cackled.

No comments:

Post a Comment