Friday, June 28, 2013

Page 106

--donation bonus (day #3, post 2/5)--
We don’t choose to be reapers. It’s inherited, a recessive trait that barely manages to live on into modern times. The vast majority of reapers once lived among various ancient civilizations as humans.

“Huh... why does it barely survive? Er, I mean... why isn’t it more, um... prevalent?”

I believe it’s a genetic reason, but honestly, that’s about all I know. I’m sure Garovel is more informed. I generally avoid involving myself with other reapers. I’ve seen many who are... well, violently insane would be an understatement.

“Eesh... Garovel said something like that, too...”

Deluded zealotry, believing in absolute madness. And the ones who fight them aren’t much better.’ Bohwanox shook his head at the ground. ‘I can partly understand why. This existence after death... seeing but not being seen, hearing but not being heard... it’s not difficult to imagine it having ill effects on someone. Especially if that someone believed fiercely in the religions of their time.

“Religion? What does that matter?”

The ancient religions of the world weren’t exactly renowned for their mercy and kindness.

“Ah, right...”

Modern religions aren’t paragons of that, either, but at least society has abolished things like ritual sacrifice and slavery... well. Most societies, anyway. Horsht and Dozer are still full of stupid fucks who believe that garbage.

“Y’know, for a spirit... you don’t seem very... spiritual...”

I will take that as a compliment,’ said Bohwanox, and he stopped. ‘Ah. Hold up. I saw Colt around here. Let me see if I can find him again.’ The reaper flew off.

Hector had the street to himself. Only the occasional vehicle or illuminated window spoke of any other life in the neighborhood. Not that he minded. The peace was much welcomed--especially as he eyed his shredded, blood-soaked garments.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to know there might be worse things than Geoffrey out there...Yyyaaaaaayyyyy..............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the magic's going away here too, it seems like. This was, strangely, both more realistic and more fascinating than ordinary plain old supernatural.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are people driving around and he stands there splattered in blood. They are just like:"oh, someone bloody stands there, meh, I don't care". Very awkward...

    ReplyDelete