Saturday, June 1, 2013

Page 70

Joseph Rofal’s chamber was just ahead, two guards at the door, Molester-stache and Baldie, as Colt remembered them. He entered after they patted him down.

Rofal and Swank were having a heated conversation. Rofal ripped the glass lamp off his desk and threw it against the wall. “That money was for a seat at the table!” He saw Colt approaching. “You! This is your fault! You said you killed that asshole!”

Colt raised an eyebrow and looked at the swollen-faced Swank. “What asshole?”

“A guy in a mask showed up and stole seventy grand earlier tonight. Same guy I saw before.”

“How do you know it was the same guy?” Colt asked.

“Well, I guess I don’t, but he was definitely wearing the same welding mask. I saw the bullet hole that I put in it.”

“Bullet hole.” Colt thought back. “Yeah, I remember that, too. Bottom of the mask?”

“Yeah.”

“Couldn’t be the same guy, though. I definitely killed him.”

“I don’t know,” said Swank, rubbing his purple cheek. “That guy ain’t human. We must have shot him at least five times, stabbed him like six. He had knives sticking out of his fucking chest, man! Didn’t even slow him down. I have twenty men out of commission. Broken arms, legs, ribs. Fucker gave Rogers a concussion the other day.”

Rofal glared at him. “This is your responsibility, Colt.”

“What the fuck do you want me to do?” said Colt. “Do you even know where he is?”

Swank shook his head and looked at their boss. “He said he was coming for you. And no disrespect to Colt, but I’m not sure he’d stand much of a chance, anyhow. The guy took down, what, an eighth of all our muscle? In the span of a few days?”

6 comments:

  1. HOLY FUCK, NICK LORD. I ACCIDENTALLY DELETED YOUR COMMENT. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. IT'S GONE FOREVER NOW. I'M SO SORRY.

    Aw, hell. It was such an amazing comment, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But um. You asked why I don't publish this, and the reasons are thus:

      1) I don't imagine this story in traditional, novel-length form. I conceptualize it as something ongoing with no definitive ending, and for books, you really do need to have an ending in mind, even if you're planning it to be a series.

      2) The publishing industry is fucking brutal and soul-crushing.

      3) I have other stories I can subject to that brutality.

      4) This IS a kind of publishing. It'd be really nice if this story could one day become popular enough that donations/ad revenue actually serve as a decent income. I'm not terrifically hopeful on this point, but hey, I can dream.

      5) Because fuck everything, that's why.

      Delete
    2. Haha. No biggie about deleting the comment. But seriously, this is incredible. It's like... The greatest. Ever. And I'm suicidal, so I can somewhat relate to the shit that goes on this. You truly are a genius. Please never stop writing this.

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry to hear that. I sincerely hope you never give up. It's your life, of course, but I hope you're able to cherish it in some way.

      And I will do my utmost.

      Delete
  2. I've rarely seen dedication like this, even on fanfiction.net. I hope you ARE getting some donations.

    Would be awesome for someone to start drawing this. Animating is too much of a fantasy, but one can't help but dream

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mahdi AparentylycntsayawsomJuly 2, 2015 at 4:30 AM

    Bwahahaha!

    Molester-stache and baldie, oh that was a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete