Sunday, April 13, 2014

Page 629

--1st Anniversary Special (day 5/7, page 3/4)--
For the remainder of the school day, Emiliana could hardly focus. She’d been anxious all weekend, wondering what exactly Alex was going to say to her or what his present would be; and now that it was so close to time, it was almost too much for her. Combined with all this talk of dreaming about marriage and her parents letting her live how she wanted, Emiliana’s imagination started leaping away from her, wondering what she would do if Alex asked her to marry him. Of course he wouldn’t. Not today, surely. But eventually? Was that possible? What would their lives be like? She could be a mother and--

So how much do you know about your heritage?’ asked Chergoa.

The question came out of nowhere and yanked Emiliana back down to Eleg. It took her a moment to realize that the reaper was probably just bored with her geography teacher’s lecture and trying to make conversation. ‘Why do you ask?

Of all the houses and bloodlines in this country, only ten of them are “Rainlords.”

There are more in Intar.’

That’s true, but the Rainlords of Sair are considered the purest descendants of the old Arman people. I’m just wondering what that means to you.

Emiliana hesitated. ‘Honestly? It doesn’t mean much to me at all.

Oh?

I know I’m probably the only one in my family to think so, but... Elroy is just a name. My ancestry doesn’t matter to me.

Hmm.

What do you think?’ Emiliana asked. ‘You’re ancient and wise, aren’t you?

Well, I don’t think a bloodline makes someone “destined for greatness” or what have you, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say that your ancestry is irrelevant, either.

Why? I genuinely don’t understand what the fuss is about.

It has less to do with you individually and more to do with how people see you.

Well, that’s their business, not mine.

And of course, there’s also the fact that your family name has given you an overwhelming advantage in life. I hope you’re not so spoiled that you don’t even understand how privileged you are.

I know that.

1 comment: