Saturday, March 7, 2020

Page 2116

((The For-No-Reason-In-Particular Holiday Special -- page 7 of 8))
Hector could certainly understand where the King was coming from, but that viewpoint also reminded Hector of something else. "...Do you really think it was just 'good fortune' that kept Atreya peaceful all this time?"

"What do you mean?" said the King.

"I think the Vanguard was watching over Atreya until relatively recently," said Hector.

The King held his hand up to his chin, thoughtful. "I suppose that might make sense," he said. "But if that was truly the case, then why did they stop watching over us?"

"That's what I'd like to know," said Hector.

"...And you think the Gaolanets might hold the answer," the King surmised.

"Yeah."

Approaching footsteps drew both of their attention, and then Hector saw Lynnette there.

"Everything okay?" she said. "The two of you have been out here for a while now."

"We are just fine, Ms. Edith. We were simply lost in conversation." He gave Hector a smile. "It seems I've found the Lord Goffe's company even more enjoyable than I expected."

"Ah--uh, same here, Your Highness."

"Well, alright," said Lynnette, "I'm glad you've been having a good time, but it's getting a bit late, Your Highness. And you have several meetings in Sescoria tomorrow, don't you?"

The King's expression soured significantly. "Hmm..."

Hector and Lynnette exchanged looks.

"No," said the King. "I don't think I do have any meetings tomorrow."

Lynnette seemed taken aback. "Uh... I'm quite sure you do, Your Highness..."

"No. I'm canceling them. I think I will be staying here at Warrenhold for another day or two." He looked to Hector again. "That is, if it is alright with you."

It took Hector a second to find his words. "Oh. Um. Yeah. Of course. You're welcome to stay as long as you like, Your Highness."

"Wonderful!"

Mouth hanging open, Lynnette was apparently speechless.

No comments:

Post a Comment