Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Page 2155

((The Mon/Wen/Fri Double -- page 2 of 2))
"Did you learn anything useful about Abolish while you were gathering intel?" said Hector.

'Nothing that you do not already know, I imagine. They intended to lead the nation into war with Rendon and were actively suppressing the media.'

"I can't help thinking that you could have simply made yourself invisible and frozen all their minds without them ever realizing you were there."

A long breath escaped from the nostrils on the Sparrow's beak. 'You sound like my daughter.'

"She wanted to intervene?"

'Indeed. I fear she soon would have, had you not resolved the matter when you did.'

"...So why'd you stop her?"

'It was simply too risky. I will admit that, yes, that plan might very well have worked. But if, for whatever reason, it did not, then it would instantly spell the end of my House. If the Abolishers noticed us--or goddess forbid, took one of us captive--then the revelation that independent Sparrows are nesting here on Atreyan soil would bring far more attention and trouble to this country than a handful of psychotic murderers in the palace could ever create.'

Hector was doubtful. "More trouble than a war?"

'Yes! You may not believe me, but yes. A war would not be the end of the world, Lord Goffe. Wars can be very short--and even bloodless. If Abolish left after starting one, I am confident that I could have ensured a swift peace thereafter.' Hanton paused. 'Unless, I suppose, the Vanguard decided to stick their noses in our business again. That would have complicated matters.'

"So let me get this straight. You think... that if word got out about your presence here, then... a bunch of people would show up to capture you?"

'Or kill us, yes. While relatively few know of my kind, those who do are generally very powerful.' Hanton's huge body shifted a little, and he leveled a beady-eyed stare at Hector. 'And I tell you now: if they do ever come for us, we will not go quietly.'

No comments:

Post a Comment