Saturday, March 7, 2020

Page 2113

((The For-No-Reason-In-Particular Holiday Special -- page 4 of 8))
"As for House Gaolanet," the King went on, "they are a rather mysterious bunch. The head of their family is Hanton Gaolanet."

Hector had already been able to find out that much just from browsing public records. He knew where the Gaolanet estate was located as well, and he was wondering if he should pay it a visit sometime soon.

"I have met him many times over the years," said William, "and yet, to say that I know much about him would be a gross exaggeration. He possesses a nobleman's manners, to be sure, but he does not speak often or carelessly. Or at least, that has been my experience with him. In fairness, I understand that royals are perhaps not the type of people whom most would wish to pour their hearts out to. I am certainly accustomed to dealing with individuals who wear 'masks,' so to speak."

Hector considered the King's words for a moment. "Was Hanton at the Gala a few weeks ago?"

"He was, though I am not surprised that you didn't notice. He is not a man to make a spectacle of himself, and he seems to only make the bare minimum of public appearances, and the rest of his family is not much different."

"So then if I dropped in on them unannounced, they wouldn't be very happy with me."

The King gave him a briefly wide-eyed look. "At their home? Yes, I imagine they would be incredibly displeased by that. Most nobles would, Hector. I would not recommend such an action."

"It was just a thought. I wasn't actually planning on it."

William chortled. "I know you must still be acclimating yourself to your newfound status, but if you wish for a meeting with the Gaolanets, I am sure you could simply have your people contact them and schedule one. I highly doubt the Gaolanets would refuse to talk to a national hero and fellow lord."

"Er, I-I know," said Hector. "I just. Uh. I wanna be careful, y'know?"

"Dropping in on them unannounced is being careful?"

"That was just a thought, I said!"

"Right."

No comments:

Post a Comment