Saturday, March 7, 2020

Page 2111

((The For-No-Reason-In-Particular Holiday Special -- page 2 of 8))
"The Agency of Foreign Affairs?" said Hector, trying to place the name. "I don't think I've heard of that before."

"Its role in the government is, on paper, to advise the Crown on matters of foreign policy," said the King. "In practice, however, it has been more akin to a headquarters for espionage. And most importantly, the AFA played a large part in the assassination plot against the Queen. Behind the scenes, of course."

Hector's eyes widened as he listened.

"I imagine that Helen, Prince David, or my Aunt Jezebel would be able to provide you with the details better than I, but my understanding of it is that the AFA has since been completely reworked and is no longer a threat to the Crown."

"Uh. Well, that's good to hear, I guess."

"But as I said, House Gaolanet's role in the AFA is a shadow of what it once was. They once held tremendous influence within it, but I think that may have also been before the AFA developed into such an espionage-heavy organization."

Hector was still trying to wrap his head around all this new information. "So... all the spy stuff came after the Gaolanets left?"

The King bobbed his head. "That may be oversimplifying how it all transpired, but yes, I believe that speaks to the core of what happened."

"Hmm."

"Nine or ten years ago now--perhaps you will recall--there was an international incident between Atreya and Rendon. At the time, we had another government agency called His Majesty's Royal Intelligence Bureau, or the RIB. It was caught red-handed bribing a Rendon ambassador, and so Rendon demanded His Majesty the King--Helen's father--shut down the RIB or risk war."

That story didn't ring a bell at all, but Hector supposed that wasn't so surprising, considering he would've been about seven years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment