Sunday, March 15, 2020

Page 2128 -- CCXII.

<"I see,"> came the Queen's voice after having been put on speaker. <"Hmm.">

The three of them just waited for her to think it over. The King looked like he wanted to say something, but if he did, he kept it to himself.

<"William...">

"Yes, darling?"

<"Why do you wish to go personally?">

The King held his hand to his chin for a moment, apparently considering his next words carefully. "I have three reasons," he said. "The first is that, if the request for a meeting comes from me, the Gaolanets will not be able to refuse or delay. If it comes from Hector, they might turn him down, reschedule, or otherwise give him the runaround.

"Secondly, it would be disrespectful to House Gaolanet if I sent someone in my stead. We do not have proof of their wrongdoing, and they may in fact be perfectly innocent. For the moment, I believe they are still deserving of honor and courtesy as a noble House of Atreya.

"And my final reason, is that I genuinely do wish to meet with Hanton Gaolanet. Knowing all that I do now, of servants and reapers and the wider world they inhabit, there are many questions I would like to ask that man, because I suspect he may have answers--or at least, an interesting perspective."

For a time, the Queen was silent, until at length, she said, <"Very well. You have convinced me. Lynnette, Hector. Please take good care of my husband.">


Chapter Two Hundred Twelve: 'A nest of Elders...'

Click to display entire chapter at once -- (mobile link)

The Gaolanet's estate struck quite an imposing figure in the twilight of the evening. According to the research Hector had done, this place was called the Sparrow's Roost, and seeing it now, Hector could understand why. It sat atop a tall hill overlooking much of Gray Rock.

And the birds.

They were all over the place--perched atop the front gate, in the trees, in the bushes, and on the various surrounding buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment