Friday, November 13, 2020

Page 2760

"I would have offered more aid to you, assuming we were able to speak again thereafter," said the Dry God.

"...Did you have any reason to think that we would speak again?" said Hector.

"Hrm. Does hope count as a reason?"

"Ugh..."

Rasalased laughed. "In any event, I was quite impressed by Abbas Saqqaf. It is a relief to know that one so capable leads my kin during these uncertain times."

Hector caught that last word and held onto it for a while, thinking. "You seem... a little different, Rasalased."

"Do I?"

"Yeah. You're a little more... chipper, I guess. And you keep saying the word 'time' without telling me how it's not actually time or whatever."

"I see."

And silence arrived.

Hector waited, but it seemed like he would have be the one to say something again. "You feelin' okay?"

"Now that you mention, I suppose I do feel a bit different from usual. How odd."

"Do you have any idea why that might be?"

"Well, time is indeed not time. Perhaps I have just grown a bit forgetful. Thank you for reminding me."

"That wasn't really what I was trying to--"

"I shall try to be more vigilant in the future."

"Oh. Uh. Good..."

"Alas, this conversation should come to an end. You will be arriving soon, and your attention should remain focused on my kin. Thank you for keeping me company, Young Hector."

"Er, ah, no problem. Any, uh, last second advice for me?"

"Hold true, as always, Young Hector."

"Ah..."

He didn't even get to say farewell before he was booted back into reality.

Hector blinked and shook his head, feeling a similar level of disorientation as waking up from a deep sleep. It took him a second to realize that he was in the same place, the front passenger seat of a car as it soared through the night sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment