Monday, November 9, 2020

Page 2751

"What you decide to do now," said Hector, "could have... no, it will have very far-reaching consequences."

"I am aware."

"Are you? If you allow Morgunov to get his hands on you--"

"We will have an interesting conversation. I have been wanting to meet these modern 'emperors' and evaluate them. It will be a good opportunity. And a dangerous one."

Hector wanted to sigh. Maybe he needed to rethink his approach here. He recalled something that Garovel told him about the Shards, about them being catalysts for unlocking great power. That had to be what Rasalased was getting at here, in his own roundabout way.

"...You want Asad to harness the power of your Shards, don't you?" said Hector.

"Heh."

What? What did 'heh' mean? Agh. "Rasalased..."

"If I allow the new Lion to unseal my soul, it would do more than simply amplify his strength. Much more."

"Er... what do you mean, exactly?"

"There is far too much to explain, Young Hector. But as a Shardkeeper, you must already have some idea of what I speak, no?"

"Uh... Shardkeeper? I didn't realize this thing came with a title, too..."

The Dry God gave a brief laugh that seemed to make the whole world tremble. "Well, you are a bit more than a Shardkeeper, in truth. That title refers merely to anyone who holds one of my Shards, however fleeting. Shardkeepers are not normally able to converse with me so easily."

"Er, I see..."

"If and when the Lion unseals my soul, all Shardkeepers will have their strength amplified as well. But as so few Shards remain, that includes only you and Young Emiliana Eirwen Elroy."

Oh. Right.

Yeah, Garovel had mentioned that, too, hadn't he? Somehow, Hector had forgotten about that part. He'd thought it was just Asad who would be affected.

"What bitter irony that a Rainlord should now be counted among my Shardkeepers. And a trustworthy one, at that. The world truly is an absurd place."

No comments:

Post a Comment