Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Page 2739

That was... one way of looking at it, Hector supposed. He couldn't help feeling like there was more to her reasoning here, though. "Are you sure it'll be that easy? Won't they also try to beef up their security while hosting such an important guest?"

"Perhaps," said the Queen, "but such increases would be limited to P.J., I am sure, and you are heading for the border, are you not?"

"Yeah..."

"Then there should be no problem. And besides, if the Lorentians catch you acting suspiciously, I will be there to bail you out. So to speak."

Hector looked to Garovel for help.

The reaper shrugged. 'Doesn't sound like we can change her mind,' he said privately.

Hector was getting that impression as well and breathed a sigh. "Alright, then, uh... I guess I'll try to pay you a visit in P.J when I can, then."

"Oh?" said the Queen, looking away from her mirror to eye him. "You are not intending to march the Sandlords right up to Riverton Hall, I hope."

"No, no. I'll find them a suitable place to rest first, of course."

"In Lorent or in Atreya?'

Ah. The big question. "Well, I was thinking Lorent first, but if you don't mind me bringing them all the way here to Warrenhold, then..."

"I do not mind. But will your Rainlords?"

"No, they're worried about them even more than we are."

"Mm."

He still couldn't see her again, and he couldn't tell what she was doing. "I, uh... I gotta say, Your Highness, I'm a little surprised that you aren't pushing back more against providing refuge for them..."

"Hmph. I resent what you are implying. Abbas Saqqaf himself has come to you for help. What did you imagine I would do? Order you to turn a blind eye like some stone-hearted louse?"

"No, I just mean... I know it's not exactly an ideal situation."

No comments:

Post a Comment