Monday, January 27, 2014

Page 533

The two men were perched atop a cliff, sitting on a metal bench with a domed cover against the wind. The night air was brisk on Hector’s face, but his riding jacket was fairly warm. Roman didn’t look bothered by the temperature, but of course, the man could also generate heat with his alteration power, so perhaps he was cheating.

Voreese and Garovel were both off scouting, so Hector and Roman took turns meditating while one kept watch over the road below, but after a few hours, Roman seemed to grow bored of it and struck up a conversation instead.

“So I guess your power has grown quite a bit since I last saw you.”

“Ah... y-yeah, I suppose,” said Hector. “What about you? Lynn said you achieved emergence.”

“Lynn? Oh, you mean Lynnette? You call her Lynn, huh?”

“I, uh... well, that’s what she said her name was, so...”

“Mm. Yeah, I’m a lot stronger now, too. I can do all sorts of fun stuff. Like flying.”

Hector turned his head curiously. “Really?”

“Little difficult, though. Haven’t quite mastered it. I can fly even faster than reapers can, but I haven’t worked out how to prevent my body from getting pummeled by g-forces.” Roman rolled his neck. “Broke my spine a few times.”

“I know the feeling.”

“Heh. What’s the worst injury you’ve had so far?”

“Oh, um. Hmm.” He scratched his head and took a deep breath. “I think that time I got blown up in Sescoria is still the worst. Y’know, when... uh... back when you saved me and Garovel?”

“Oh yeah. Okay, then what’s the worst you’ve had that didn’t kill you?”

“Hmm... I’m not sure, uh... There was one time in Klein where the cops pumped about a hundred bullets into me. There was the time my whole mouth got shot off--oh, but the time I had my, uh... my chest cavity ripped open... with like, surgical clamps... that was pretty bad. Though, I guess I was technically dead when it happened...”

“Impressive. Worst for me was probably the plane crash. Had to shield Lynnette or she would’ve been toast, so I didn’t have time to protect myself from this huge metal beam--came straight for me, basically cut me in two.”

10 comments:

  1. Snowtail the KhajiitJanuary 28, 2014 at 1:50 AM

    I loooove how this is pretty much a normal conversation with these two. XDD
    But damn, looking back…Hector has been through some serious shit. Poor guy. DX He deserves a thousand hugs…from Lynn. *Still shipping them* XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, i find this plan to start a war kind of silly. It could be so easily averted by the Queen / King / David simply calling the other nation's government and telling them what is going on. Something to the effect of "We have a rogue military unit under the control of a foren power on it's way to attack you." And even if the attack happens it will not start a war. With that advanced warning, the other country could send there own military who would see the super powered freaks doing all the fighting.

    Even if the higher ups did not believe there ground units, just the fact that they where warned of the attack would be enough to allow for diplomatic talks before a counter attack would be launched. As the leader of a nation, i would think that the queen would have thought of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will be an important point in David's next scene, so I'll make sure to go into more detail there, but for now I'll just say that you're forgetting some stuff, such as the tensions between the two countries, as well as... shall we say.. a certain suspicion that Gina may have briefly mentioned a while ago...

    I do appreciate the thoughtful feedback, by the way. Helps keep me on my toes. :)

    And yeah, I'm a little behind on updates. Will be playing catch up over the next few days. Fuckin' 70 pages this month and yet I'm somehow still BEHIND. Haha... ah... I will get it up to 80 before February, though. I PROMISE YOU THAT MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snowtail the KhajiitJanuary 29, 2014 at 12:10 AM

    We will hold you to that promise, Frosty. X3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure that Abolish(catchy name) would leave any survivors from the foreign military
    just saying
    Also, I think abolish would take out all thepeople who were made informed of their attack for Abolish would not want to be known. I think the queen's reaper (sorry forgot the name) would have advised that warning the other countries would be suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snowtail the KhajiitJanuary 29, 2014 at 11:10 AM

    YESSSSS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Has the most normal conversation bout worst injuries. Seems legit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Typo:
    "Hector[’s] turned his head curiously."

    Not sure about this:
    "I didn’t have time to protect myself from this huge, metal beam"
    The comma seems sort of wrong. Probably victim of last-minute editing where you removed a second adjective or something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me too. Now I want to see Roman matchmaking for Hector and Lynn.

    ReplyDelete