Saturday, January 25, 2014

Page 526

Moreover, Luther should have no reason to suspect that David knew he had lied about Nathaniel’s demise, so perhaps this late night encounter truly was a coincidence. But still, David mistrusted coincidences, as any rational person would, so before he committed himself to anything else, he fished for more information. He opened the door a crack and peeked through.

“Luther?” he said. “What are you doing here so late?”

“Please invite me in.”

“Why?”

“I need to speak with you.”

“Then speak here and do it quickly. I am tired.”

Luther tilted his head with a knowing smile. “I would also like to speak with Meriwether.”

So much for coincidence. There was little point in refusing the man entry now. He allowed Luther in and rejoined Meriwether in the den.

Meriwether only looked confused by the new arrival.

“Allow me to forego pleasantries,” said Luther, taking a seat. “The Abolishers have left the city. Mr. Conall Learen was kind enough to share their plans with me earlier this evening. They will be gone for most of the day today. I have therefore decided to take advantage of the opportunity that their absence presents.”

“Take advantage how?” said Meriwether.

“Their names and faces are already known to the police and the military, and come morning, word of their many misdeeds will finally make the national news--at which time, they will also receive credit for a few extra murders.”

David’s expression flickered.

Meriwether blinked. “What are you talking about?”

“A handful of select individuals,” said Luther. “Ones who might have otherwise become obstacles to our objective.”

“What objective?” said Meriwether.

Luther ignored him, instead looking at David. “Abolish will not be upset by this move. They are already enemies of the state and intend to leave Atreya as soon as war with Rendon is triggered.”

Meriwether scowled. “Has there not been enough bloodshed already? You intend to have even more people killed?”

“Oh, Meriwether. You simple fool. I do not intend to have them killed. I already have. You honestly think I would be telling you such sensitive information if it was not already decided?”

14 comments:

  1. Well at least they were not the people Luther thought were obstacles to their objectives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snowtail the KhajiitJanuary 25, 2014 at 10:24 AM

    Quick! One of you! Stab Luther! I don't trust him! >m<
    But oh, please don't get hurt David. I've actually come to enjoy your witty personality. DX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snowtail the KhajiitJanuary 25, 2014 at 10:25 AM

    Not yet, at least...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think that Luther has pretty much snapped.....better kill him before the Abolish decided to make him into a member.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snowtail the KhajiitJanuary 25, 2014 at 6:25 PM

    Oh hai new person! X3 Welcome to the Frosty fan-club. XD


    Yeah, I suspect Luther will try to kill Meri too, or get David to do it. Both scenarios are not okay, unless they end up with Luther dead and the other two alright.


    Luther is a very good character. An insane, chaos-loving manic - but Frosty portrays him as such very well. XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tossed a vote up on topwebfiction for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. And everyone else who has voted there, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, thank you. It's ovely to have you. I always adore seeing new folks comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snowtail the KhajiitJanuary 25, 2014 at 9:18 PM

    I've set up a little schedule so I remember to. Sundays are my voting days. XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. The black fire of the aba...aber... DAMN IT!!!!
    the monster demon person sounds like amaterasu

    sorry if you don't follow naruto and don't get it

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the first priority should be Abolish and then as soon as they're gone *stabbity stab stab*.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This dude is quickly becoming a problem! I would have killed him as soon as I realized his mindset

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually, I think he's about to kill Meriwether.


    I find Luther interesting. On the one hand, he's obviously gone just a little bit psycho. On the other hand, he has a point. Any government has it's weak points, but it's a lot easier to fuck up a lot of shit when one person controls everything. And it's even worse when said one person is part of a royal line; generally, a single family having all the power does... bad things.


    Blah.


    Anyway, this is my first time commenting. This story is AWESOME AND EPIC AND I LOVE YOU FOR WRITING IT, GEORGE!

    ReplyDelete