Sunday, January 5, 2014

Page 472

Mrs. Edith’s expression was more rigid than relieved. “Where is she?” she said.

“In an underground bunker. I actually came here to take all of you to her.”

They exchanged looks. Mrs. Edith seemed to be their designated speaker. “It’s been almost two months since we last heard from her. Where has she been all this time, and why has she not come to tell us these things herself?”

“After the first attack on Belgrant Castle, Lynnette had to flee the country with the Queen and was traveling with her for a while. She didn’t want to risk contacting you for fear of putting you in danger, but that’s changed now. You are in danger. She is unable to come to get you herself, which is why I’m here.”

“How are we in danger?”

“We suspect that her enemies might try to use you to get to her,” said Gina. “Please, I know this is sudden, but I really need you to come with me right now.”

Lynnette’s father seemed ready to believe her, but Mrs. Edith did not budge. “What enemies are you referring to?”

“There are very dangerous people trying to overthrow the Crown,” she explained. “Lynnette is on the Queen’s side, which means the Queen’s enemies are also her enemies.” Her eyes went to the news program, and she pointed to it. “That was Lynnette’s doing. She rescued the King, which drew attention to herself and is why she’s afraid they’ll come after you next.” Hector hadn’t explicitly told her that last part, but after listening to the radio reports on the way here, it sounded pretty accurate.

Mrs. Edith folded her arms. “I want to speak with her,” she said. “Call her now.”

And Gina hesitated. Lynnette did have her own cellphone now; she’d picked one up over the course of the week just in case. But Gina had been trying it on the way over, and Lynnette hadn’t been picking up. “I’m not sure if... ah, but I’ll give it a try.”

She placed the call, and to her surprise, someone answered.

<“Hello?”>

Gina recognized it as the voice of the King. “Your Majesty?”

6 comments:

  1. "She [is] unable to come get you herself..."

    Missing word?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "How are we [in] danger?"
    I'm guessing you might be a bit burnt out after those chain updates over the holidays

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fixed, thanks.

    For a couple days, I was a bit burnt out, yeah, but I'm recovered now. I've always had difficulty with missing words, though. Not just since starting a webserial. FUCKING ALWAYS. My brain just skips over words all the damn time. It's really annoying, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, don't worry, you're not alone there!

    I usually have to read what I write out loud to make sure it's right, and I still have missing words here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not much to say other than Mrs. Edith is appropriately suspicious

    ReplyDelete