Monday, February 13, 2017

Page 1328

((The Monday Triple: page 2 of 3))
Of course it’s the point,’ said Garovel. ‘But Hector. Come-the-fuck-on. I warned you back in Kuros, back when I was asking if you wanted to go meet Chergoa. I said we’d be stepping into territory that we were not ready for. And honestly, my boy, you’ve done far better than I ever could have hoped.

Hector made no response.

The reaper’s boney face twisted as he kept pace with Hector. ‘You really don’t agree? Hector. Marshrock was amazing enough, but Dunehall, too?

But that was... I mean... I don’t know what that was. But I know that it wasn’t something reliable.

Garovel paused. ‘Something reliable?

Like... I don’t think I could do it again. It was just... It was dumb luck, is all it was.

Mm, I dunno about that. I think you’re underestimating yourself.

I don’t.

Yes, I see that now. I can’t believe I ever thought you were being overconfident. Holy shit.

Ugh. I just... I... I mean, I’m not wrong, am I? The Rainlords are going to live with us. Under my roof. They’re gonna be relying on me. So...’ He had to consciously avoid sighing in front of everyone. ‘I have to become more reliable than just dumb luck. I don’t know how, but... I have to.

Hector. You can’t protect... ah... Hmm.

Hector threw him a glance. ‘Wha?

Well, uh,’ said Garovel, ‘I was about to say that you can’t protect the Rainlords from everything that’s threatening them, but... frankly, I don’t know what you’re capable of, anymore. After Rasalased and Haqq’s shield and that shit you pulled with the Salesman-of-Goddamn-Death... and now whatever-the-hell is going on with you and the Shards... I just. You... I don’t know. Now that I think about it, maybe I’M the one who’s underestimating you.

Uh... what?

Argh! Fuck you! Now you’re making ME confused! None of this means that we shouldn’t still be cautious in general! Or that you should stop listening to my sage wisdom, goddammit!

No comments:

Post a Comment