Monday, April 29, 2024

Page 3577

“I don’t think that I do,” said Morgunov, though that wasn’t entirely true. “You’re tryin’ to tell me that there’s some grand, invisible force that’s been creating great geniuses throughout history? And that only one can exist at a time? Why would that be true? Seems pretty inefficient to me. If the goal is to create Order, then the more brilliant minds there are, the better. Limiting it all to just one, singular dude sounds stupid as hell.”

“I never said Order was smart, now did I?”

“Oh, c’mon, that’s the best you’ve got? You’re supposed to be the greatest liar in the world, aren’t you? Come up with something more convincing!”

“What could be more convincing than the simple truth?”

“Eheh, oh, please. The best liars are able use the truth as if it were a lie--and vice versa. Think I’m not aware of that? Gotta say, you’re really leavin’ me quite unimpressed with your abilities so far, fella. Fumblin’ the bag, as the youngins like to say!”

“Well, I did tell you from the beginning that you were overestimating me.”

“Aha! True enough!”

“But alright. I cannot claim to know what Order is thinking--or if it even thinks anything at all, for that matter--but I do feel that you are misconceiving something. A true Fury is able to take inspiration from their contemporaries, as well. Not just from those in the past. So your idea that more would be better is rather moot.”

“Hmm.”

“Additionally, would more actually be better? They do say that too many cooks spoil the broth, no? Perhaps Order believes something similar.”

Dang it, that was actually a good point.

Morgunov still had more to follow up on, though. “Okay, so the Furies are, what, the greatest minds of their eras? And yet you also told me that I’m not one of ‘em? How can I not qualify, huh? After all I’ve done! That hardly seems fair!”

“‘Tis not a matter of intellect alone.” A beat passed. “Though I’m sure you would be found wanting there, as well.”

“Eheh, ouch! So what else factors in, then, hmm?”

“Personality, of course. Temperament. Desires of the heart and soul.”

“You sayin’ I’m not pure of heart?”

“Not at all. Your heart is perhaps the purest black I’ve ever seen.”

“Really? Ever? You’ve known some real mean buggers from across all the Ages, haven’t you? And yet you honestly think I’m the worst?”

“Yes. I do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment