Thursday, April 18, 2024

Page 3566

“In that case,” said Germal, “perhaps you could share what you’ve learned of me. At times, I feel as though even I do not know what I am doing or why.”

“Oho! How I wish for that to be true!” said Morgunov. “Very relatable, that notion! But of course it would be, wouldn’t it?! You’ve learned a thing or two about me, as well, I’m sure! Tryin’ to soften me up with some familiarity, huh?!”

“Interpret things however you please, but I shall not deny that I have been studying you. The Problem of the Furies is an ever cycling one, but you, ledo, only ever make it worse. Ignoring you would have been foolish beyond measure.”

Morgunov’s eyes might have bulged if he could have felt them. “The Problem of the Furies, you say? Well, now... that’s quite the juicy morsel you’ve just dropped at my feet! Hmm! I’m finally tempted to believe something you’ve said! Well done, Germy!”

“Either you die this day, or I do. There is no point in lying.”

“Said the Liar! Oh, and please, don’t say that! If I have things my way, you won’t be dying for a very, very long time!”

“All the more reason to bring your reign of terror to an end, then.”

“Ooh, is that what this has all been about?! Germy! Don’t tell me! Are you one of those secret, noble heroes of the ancient world?! Fighting wickedness from the shadows?!”

“Anyone who goes against you can be considered a hero.”

“Eheh. How mean. I can be heroic when I want to, you know. As a matter of fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that taking care of you, right here, right now, might just be one of the most heroic things I could ever do.”

“You’ve really built me up quite a bit in your mind, haven’t you?”

“It’s nothin’ you haven’t earned, dear boy! Or, cedo, as you would say? Yes!”

“Indeed. Ah, but you still have not told me what you know of my words. Please, go on and enlighten me.”

“I do love an attentive listener. Alright, then! Those words you use. They’re psychic markers, aren’t they? Meaningful to you in ways that are imperceptible to others. And I bet they make it easier to pry into the mind, don’t they? Especially when you want to leave a lasting impression on someone, hmm? What better method than to take on a memorable way of speaking? You do love mucking about memories, don’t you?”

For the first time that Morgunov had heard, the Liar of Lyste returned a laugh.

“I shall never let it be said that you lack imagination, Demon.”

No comments:

Post a Comment