Sunday, February 14, 2021

Page 3012

~~Valentine's Day Special - (page 7 of 8)~~
'Changes that involve the Fellowship?' said Rezolo.

"Possibly," said Egmond. He looked around the clubroom for a moment before returning to his ice water for a sip. "I'm in the market for new, reliable subordinates."

Loren's interest was sufficiently piqued. He waited for Rezolo to ask another probing question, but when the reaper remained silent, he decided to jump in himself with a comment. "Those are difficult to come by in Abolish."

"Indeed."

"You think the Fellowship has the kind of men you're looking for?"

"Well, I know they have different men, at the very least. They've been trying to entice me to join for years, but I've always been reluctant to take the plunge."

"Why?"

Egmond paused for another swig. "Truthfully? My reputation was everything to me. And joining the Freemen would have meant gambling with it. Some doors might open, others might close. I was, to put it nicely, a bit risk-averse in that regard."

Hmm. Egmond made it sound like it had been entirely his own decision. Loren didn't see a reaper over his shoulder, and the man wasn't speaking in two voices, either. There was no telling if Egmond had even brought his reaper here. It would make sense, Loren supposed, if he'd come alone.

'And you're not like that anymore?' said Rezolo.

"As I said, I'm a new man."

'I see. What sparked this sudden change in you, then?'

"Why do you ask?"

'Professional curiosity.'

Egmond set his drink down and looked at Rezolo, then at Loren. "Join me and find out."

Loren's eyes widened. He wanted to say yes straightaway, but he knew it wasn't that simple. Even Rezolo probably didn't have the final say on a decision like this.

'We've only just joined the Fellowship, ourselves,' the reaper explained.

"Is that supposed to be a problem?" said Egmond.

'I'm not sure we'll have the latitude to choose our own assignments quite yet.'

"If I ask for you, they won't refuse me."

No comments:

Post a Comment