Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Page 2205

"Now, that might just be a coincidence," said Gina, "but if I were to think up some reasons why someone might've been trying really hard to assassinate you after overhearing something so seemingly benign... well, a planned war doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility."

Madison's eyes hollowed, and her mind seemed to be elsewhere.

Lynnette was growing more confused by the minute. This famous actress was involved in the war?

"I've been trying to look into Andalero, too," said Gina, "but the internet is only so useful. It might be better to ask Lord Dimas about it. I'm not so good at in-the-field investigations, but if anything, the Rainlords seem to prefer that."

Madison regained herself and eyed the various Rainlords around the Grand Hall. "You might be right," she said. Then her gaze settled back on Gina. "But why are you asking me to talk to Dimas? You seem pretty close with the head honcho, yourself. Why don't you just ask him?"

Gina tilted her head. "The head honcho?"

"Yeah," said Madison. "Don't act like I'm more influential around here than you are. I've seen you talking to him a bunch of times." She glanced at Lynette as well. "You, too, actually."

Lynnette tried to think. "Are you referring to the King?"

"What? No. I... though, well, I guess he would work, too, if you wanted to talk to him. I was talking about Lord Goffe."

Lynnette watched Gina's mouth open, then close again.

"You two seem way closer to him than I am," said Madison.

Lynnette and Gina exchanged looks with one another. Somehow, they both wore knowing expressions on their faces that were simultaneously mixed with utter uncertainty. In that silent moment between them, it felt like a thousand words were exchanged.

"Ah..." tried Gina.

What was she going to say? Lynnette had no clue.

Gina scratched her cheek. "I... I guess you have a point."

No comments:

Post a Comment