Monday, April 6, 2020

Page 2181

~~((The 7th Anniversary Special -- page 11 of 24?!))~~
"Might you have any insight for me regarding Steccat, as well?" the Queen asked.

'A bit, perhaps. I am not nearly as confident in my appraisal of that country as I am with Intar, however. Harper and I often travel to Steccat to visit a couple of his adopted children, but the Vanguard has comparatively little presence there.'

"Is that so? But is there not a Vanguardian Field Marshal who is known as the Hammer of Steccat?"

'There is, yes. Field Marshal Kane. But I did say "comparatively." And while Kane does have fairly strong ties to that country, so does Sai-hee.'

"Ah."

'Her people's presence there creates something of a bubble, through which reliable information is difficult to come by.'

"I thought she had a preference for peacekeeping."

'She does.'

"Then that should ease the flow of information, no?"

'In trade and culture, perhaps, but not in matters of state. They're a rather reclusive bunch, those Steccati aristocrats. They like to hide behind their art and speak little of politics. Or, perhaps, they just don't care.'

Pauline was not surprised to hear that in the slightest. Steccat was the haven of another group of Sparrows, and according to her father, they were even more influential in their country than the Gaolanets were here in Atreya.

'All that being said, though, I doubt Steccat will be getting involved in the war, either. As you said, Sai-hee DOES like her peace. It would surprise me if Steccat decided to jump in without direct provocation.'

"I see..."

Pauline had to agree with the reaper's assessment, though for different reasons. If her brethren in Steccat were anything like her father, then they would doubtless be wanting to avoid conflict as well.

'I suppose it's good that two of Eloa's three juggernauts are probably not going to get involved in the war,' the reaper went on, 'but I unfortunately can't help feeling like their isolationism will actually serve to make things worse in this instance, not better.'

No comments:

Post a Comment