Friday, February 14, 2020

Page 2079

~~The Valentine's Days Special -- (page 13 of 12, because I miscounted, realized it too late, and now I don't feel like going back and rescheduling 100 pages)~~
"Listen," said Leo, "about before, I'm real sorry about attackin' you like I did."

"You sucker punched me," said Melchor.

"Well, yeah, I kinda had to, dude. Knew you'd be a big problem if I didn't take you out first. I was outnumbered like a hundred to one 'r somethin', y'know."

"In that case, I suppose I can just consider myself flattered," said Melchor. "And you should consider yourself lucky that the Lord Goffe here wasn't present at that time." He flashed Hector a quick smile.

Holy shit, Melchor, seriously?

Hector's face just tightened up. He couldn't really say anything, but he wanted to tell him to relax. That kind of heavy-handed praise wasn't necessary.

Leo laughed. "You're right, man! Things could be a lot worse for me, couldn't they?!"

"Indeed. But I look forward to working together with you as comrades-in-arms under Darksteel's guidance." Melchor gave another smile.

"Oh, ah, me too, dude!"

Wait a minute. Was Melchor enjoying this? What the hell was going through his head, right now?!

"Have you already heard about his encounter with the so-called 'God of the Underworld?'"

"Oh, yeah, Roman over there told me a bit about that, but he skimped on the details. You wouldn't--"

Hector felt compelled to intervene. "Ah--that's enough of that. Save the small talk for later, please."

"Look, he's getting embarrassed!" said Melchor.

"Oh, wow! I think you're right!"

The two men chortled in unison this time.

Hector just stared at them, wondering if this meeting was already spiraling out of his control. He half-expected Roman to jump in as well, but when he looked over at him, the man looked more flabbergasted than anything.

When their laughter settled, however, silence arrived and threatened to become awkward.

Hector maintained his focus, though. He didn't intend to let it get to him this time. If anything, he wanted to use this awkwardness to his advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment